BEST OF THE SOUTH ISLAND
Hiking, Hut-to-Hut Light Packing, Glacier Walking, Boating
13 or 16 days 6 - 15 guests
Snow-capped mountains, plunging glaciers, picture-perfect lakes, lush rain forests, pristine fjords, and rushing rivers. It sounds like the Himalayas and Mediterranean combined but it all exists in the remote South Pacific islands of New Zealand in less space than the state of Colorado. New Zealand, otherwise known as Aotearoa -- Land of the Long White Cloud, is an incredibly diverse land brimming with spectacular natural beauty. Imagine a trip where every bend in the road reveals yet more stunning scenery! This is it.
- hike the incredible Routeburn Track for 3 days
- climb on an advancing glacier
- moderate hiking with spectacular scenery
- an exciting way to see New Zealand's South Island
Hike along deserted golden beaches, through ancient rain forests, over an advancing glacier, and hut to hut along the world famous Routeburn Track. Experience the stillness of dusk and dawn in the magnificent Milford Sound, swim with dusky dolphins off the coast of Kaikoura, visit five National parks and the South-West New Zealand World Heritage Area. All in the shadow of the Southern Alps and their rugged snow-capped peaks.
In Queenstown there are chances to bungy jump, paraglide, hangglide, skydive, rock climb, river surf, go canyoning or just relax at sidewalk cafes. This is the best New Zealand has to offer.
- Day 1 - 3: Fly to Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Day 4: Hiking in Kaikoura.
- Day 5: Swim with the dolphins. Hiking and natural hot pools in Maruia Springs.
- Day 6: Coastal hike at Cape Foulwind. Hiking in Paparoa National Park.
- Day 7: Visit the Pancake Rocks and then Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers.
- Day 8: Glacier walking.
- Day 9: Rainforest walk and penguin viewing.
- Day 10: Hiking in Mt. Aspiring National Park. Queenstown arrival.
- Day 11: Free day in Queenstown.
- Day 12: Scenic flight to Milford Sound. Start hiking the Routeburn Track.
- Day 13: Routeburn Track hiking.
- Day 14: Routeburn Track hiking. Queenstown arrival.
- Day 15: Queenstown white water rafting or river surfing.
- Day 16: Depart Queenstown, arrive home.
- Departure Dates:
2005: Jan. 7 - 22; Feb. 4 - 19; Mar 11 - 26;
Nov. 18 - Dec. 3; Dec. 16 - 31, '06
2006: Jan. 6 - 21; Feb. 3 - 18
- 16 Day: $3,699 (10 - 12 guests); $3,913 (6 - 9 guests)
13 Day: $2,846 (10 -12 guests); $3,059 (6 - 9 guests)
Bed and Breakfast, hotels, huts, cottages
Level of Difficulty
II - Moderate
Past Guest Comments
Request More Information